Writing college admission essays is a key part of the application process, because your essay is an essential way you can impress the admissions committee. Writing your application essay will be made simple and more effective if you follow these simple guidelines:
- Show Confidence – Demonstrating your good qualities by giving examples. This will show the application committee you are the strong candidate. Please note that an applicant must demonstrate these good qualities without boasting or bragging. This is frowned upon by admission committees.
- Take the Direct Approach – Do not beat around the bush when writing your application essay. Get straight to the point and stay on task.
- Show Honesty – An applicant should be honest in all phases of the application process. Lying and being caught in a lie is a definite turn off to admission committees.
- Be Sincere and Friendly – Take a friendly, sincere tone throughout your application essay. This will tell the admission committee you care about your chosen essay topic and also care about their school.
- Be Natural – College admission essays that work use your natural tone – your natural speaking voice. By using your natural voice, your essay will flow smoothly and naturally. Also, to be natural means not to use over-zealous words or phrases you or nobody else would normally use. Using fancy, out of place words jars and disrupts flow.
- Show Optimism – Effectively writing college admission essays means that you maintain optimism. This demonstrates to the admissions committee that you can handle stress and have a positive outlook. No admission committee likes to read a pessimistic essay – Don’t be a downer!
- Show you are a calm person – If your essay conveys that you are calm person it tells the admission committee that you can handle stress. This is especially important because college can be challenging and can throw many unexpected stressors your way.
- Show you are flexible – Showing flexibility will demonstrate to the admission committee that you are not set in your ways and are open to new people and new ideas.
- Grab Their Attention – A good essay engages the reader from the start with a hook. Furthermore, the essay should captivate the audience throughout (See College Admission Unlocked, How to Write a College Application Essay).
- Be Mindful of Self – A good application essay will illustrate that you know yourself in-and-out. Who better to represent, and sell you, then you?
- Show Depth – College admission essays that work well tend to be reflective and analyze the main issue that is the topic of the essay.
By following these guidelines, you’ll have a good idea of how to write college admission essays that work for you, and help you impress the admissions committee!